We are an independent hospice founded in 1993 by monks and nuns from Skanda Vale multi-faith monastery. One unique feature of our hospice is that we have very few paid staff – our team is made up, almost entirely, of highly skilled volunteers.
For me it’s about coming back to the true philosophy of why hospices were set up in the beginning. It’s about treating people and their families as a whole, and taking care of not only their physical, but their social, emotional and spiritual needs as well.
A short history
Guru Sri Subramanium
In 1987 Skanda Vale’s founder, Guru Sri Subramanium, had a serious heart attack. As he was recovering in hospital, he became acutely aware of the loneliness and fear of some of his fellow patients.
There was an elderly man in the last few days of his life in the bed next to Guru, with no friends or family to comfort him. The hospital staff attended to his medical needs, but the pressure of time meant they couldn’t give him the companionship, reassurance and love that he really needed. He died alone, on a busy ward.
Guru was profoundly affected by his death; he couldn’t bear the thought that anyone could die in such a pitiful state. This single event was the inspiration to start Skanda Vale Hospice.
- An independent hospice, free from bureaucracy, empowered to place the needs of the patients and their families first in everything we do.
- A hospice team comprised mainly of professionally trained volunteers – grounded in hands on selfless service, and uplifted through the fulfilment of love in action.
- A secular, open, warm, fun, down to earth place, that is welcoming to everyone, regardless of background, lifestyle, faith or belief.
- A holistic approach that helps families physically, emotionally, socially, practically and spiritually.
- A free service, where no-one feels pressured to donate.
- A sustainable service, that will be here for generations.
Meet the team!
Deputy Clinical Lead
Carer, Arts & Crafts Coordinator
Carer & Volunteer Coordinator
Carer, Therapist & Shop Coordinator
Carer & Fundraising Coordinator
Carer, Patient Transport & Housekeeping Coordinator
People tell us, you know, all sorts of nonsense, that we’re angels – which we’re not at all. But people are overwhelmed by the love that somehow just flows so easily here. Patients have said; ‘There’s something here, I don’t know what it is, but there’s something… you can feel it!
We go to great lengths to make sure our volunteers feel valued and listened to, offering appropriate guidance, support and training. We’ll cover your expenses, local travel costs and can help with child care. For certain roles we can also arrange accredited training.