In-patient Respite service
Being diagnosed and living with a life-limiting illness can turn your whole world upside down – and the lives of those around you. You may feel confused, scared or even angry, and not know where to turn, or what to do. It can also be exhausting – physically, mentally and emotionally – for you and your family and friends. Skanda Vale Hospice is here to help you and those who care about you.
We offer a full 24-hour in-patient respite service each month during which we welcome up to six individuals with a life-limiting illness to spend up to a week under the care and support of our dedicated team of Registered Nurses and Health Care Support Workers at our beautiful Hospice in rural Carmarthenshire. Our respite service is provided completely free of charge.
Our in-patient respite week provides an opportunity for you and your carers to recharge, gain a fresh perspective and receive expert help with specific issues.
How can in-patient respite care help me?
In-patient respite care can be helpful when there is a change in your illness, if there is a crisis at home, or if you or those who care about you just need a break. Our person-centred approach can help with whatever is troubling you, whether it’s practical, physical, emotional, social or spiritual in nature:
- Practical: We can review your practical needs to make sure you are accessing all the benefits, care and assistance you need at home. We can help you get your affairs in order.
- Physical: Our experienced nurses can assess your current needs in a safe, non-clinical environment, and provide feedback to your GP or consultant. Our holistic therapies can also help with pain management, anxiety, depression and general wellbeing.
- Emotional & social: If you’ve never been to a hospice before, you’ll be surprised at how welcoming and uplifting it is. Whether you prefer peace and quiet – or a chance to talk things through with people who have the time and who really care, we will do all we can to make you feel at home.
- Spiritual: For many people, a life-limiting illness raises many questions, doubts and concerns about life and death. Our team have a wealth of experience and are always on hand to listen and help when needed. We can also arrange for your own minister or spiritual leader to visit should you wish it.
Respite for the family
Caring for and supporting someone you love with a life-limiting illness is hard. It can be mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting. Even the most devoted friend, family member or carer needs a break from time to time, knowing that their loved one is being taken care of by dedicated staff in beautiful, relaxing and welcoming surroundings.
- For family carers, respite is a chance to have a break from the daily routine of caring. Use the time off as a chance to take a break, catch up with yourself, or simply recharge your batteries without having to worry about your loved one.
- Family and friends are always warmly welcomed at the hospice – there are no set visiting times.
- Patients and their families have their own kitchenette to prepare snacks and simple meals whenever they want.
What we can offer you
- 6 en-suite bedrooms, 4 of which have access to a bed-accessible balcony overlooking the gardens.
- Free high-speed wifi and hotel-style TV entertainment system.
- 24-hour nursing care.
- A flexible care routine – as much like your home routine as possible.
- Specialist care equipment including; pressure-relieving mattresses, ceiling hoists, remote control curtains, high-quality electronic beds and assisted bathing facilities.
- A consultation with a medic from the Carmarthen Palliative Care Team.
- Access to all our day hospice services, including our full range of holistic therapies.
We have planned to offer a week’s respite once a month throughout 2023.
Please get in touch to find out more