Inpatient respite provides an opportunity for you and your carers to recharge, gain a fresh perspective and receive expert help with specific issues. We currently offer respite for periods of up to 11 days at a time, though you are welcome to stay with us for a shorter period of time if that suits you better.
How can inpatient respite care help me?
Inpatient respite care can be helpful when there is a change in your illness, or if there is a crisis at home. Our person-centred approach can help with whatever is troubling you, whether it’s practical, physical, emotional, social or spiritual in nature:
- Practical: We can review your practical needs to make sure you are accessing all the benefits, care and assistance you need at home. We can help you get your affairs in order.
- Physical: Our experienced nurses can assess your current needs in a safe, non-clinical environment, and provide feedback to your GP or consultant. Our holistic therapies can also help with pain management, anxiety, depression and general wellbeing.
- Emotional & social: If you’ve never been to a hospice before, you’ll be surprised at how welcoming and uplifting it is. Whether you prefer peace and quiet – or a chance to talk things through with people who have the time and who really care, we will do all we can to make you feel at home.
- Spiritual: For many people, a life-limiting illness raises many questions, doubts and concerns about life and death. Our team have a wealth of experience and are always on hand to listen and help when needed. We can arrange for your own minister or spiritual leader to visit.
Respite for the family
- For family carers, respite is a chance to have a break from the daily routine of caring. Use the time off as a chance to go on holiday, or just catch up with yourself.
- Family and friends will always be warmly welcomed at the hospice – there are no set visiting times.
- Patients and their families have their own kitchenette to prepare snacks and simple meals whenever they want.
What we can offer you
- 6 ensuite bedrooms, 4 of which have access to a bed-accessible balcony overlooking the garden.
- Free high-speed wifi and hotel-style TV entertainment system.
- 24-hour nursing care.
- A flexible care routine – as much like your home routine as possible.
- Specialist care equipment including; pressure-relieving mattresses, ceiling hoists, remote control curtains, high-quality electronic beds and assisted bathing facilities.
- A consultation with a medic from the Carmarthen Palliative Care Team.
- Access to all our day hospice services, including our full range of holistic therapies.
Making a referral for respite
- Our service is available to anyone over the age of 18, diagnosed with a life-limiting illness, with palliative care needs.
- Referrals can be made by patients, carers, or healthcare professionals.
- Referrals are based on need, not geography and are subject to assessment.
- Anyone who meets our pre-referral criteria is eligible to use our service, as long as they can travel comfortably and safely to the hospice.
- All services at Skanda Vale Hospice are offered completely free of charge.