Inpatient respite provides an opportunity for you and your carers to recharge, gain a fresh perspective and receive expert help with specific issues. We currently offer respite for periods of up to 11 days at a time, though you are welcome to stay with us for a shorter period of time if that suits you better.
How can inpatient respite care help me?
Inpatient respite care can be helpful when there is a change in your illness, or if there is a crisis at home. Our person-centred approach can help with whatever is troubling you, whether it’s practical, physical, emotional, social or spiritual in nature:
- Practical: We can review your practical needs to make sure you are accessing all the benefits, care and assistance you need at home. We can help you get your affairs in order.
- Physical: Our experienced nurses can assess your current needs in a safe, non-clinical environment, and provide feedback to your GP or consultant. Our holistic therapies can also help with pain management, anxiety, depression and general wellbeing.
- Emotional & social: If you’ve never been to a hospice before, you’ll be surprised at how welcoming and uplifting it is. Whether you prefer peace and quiet – or a chance to talk things through with people who have the time and who really care, we will do all we can to make you feel at home.
- Spiritual: For many people, a life-limiting illness raises many questions, doubts and concerns about life and death. Our team have a wealth of experience and are always on hand to listen and help when needed. We can arrange for your own minister or spiritual leader to visit.
Respite for the family
- For family carers, respite is a chance to have a break from the daily routine of caring. Use the time off as a chance to go on holiday, or just catch up with yourself.
- Family and friends will always be warmly welcomed at the hospice – there are no set visiting times.
- Patients and their families have their own kitchenette to prepare snacks and simple meals whenever they want.
What we can offer you
- 6 ensuite bedrooms, 4 of which have access to a bed-accessible balcony overlooking the garden.
- Free high-speed wifi and hotel-style TV entertainment system.
- 24-hour nursing care.
- A flexible care routine – as much like your home routine as possible.
- Specialist care equipment including; pressure-relieving mattresses, ceiling hoists, remote control curtains, high-quality electronic beds and assisted bathing facilities.
- A consultation with a medic from the Carmarthen Palliative Care Team.
- Access to all our day hospice services, including our full range of holistic therapies.
Making a referral for respite
- Our service is available to anyone over the age of 18, diagnosed with a life-limiting illness, with palliative care needs.
- Referrals can be made by patients, carers, or healthcare professionals.
- Referrals are based on need, not geography and are subject to assessment.
- Anyone who meets our pre-referral criteria is eligible to use our service, as long as they can travel comfortably and safely to the hospice.
- All services at Skanda Vale Hospice are offered completely free of charge.
Here are our planned respite sessions for this year
Please get in touch if you’d like to find out more
[contact-form-7 id=”2259″ title=”Main contact form”]