Volunteer role description
- Location 8 hours per month either onsite or remotely. This can be flexible.
- Time offering Ideally, we would like you to commit to volunteering with us for a period of 12 months or longer.
- This role is supported by: The Hospice Manager.
- This role provides leadership to: The Operations Team.
- Expenses: We cover volunteer expenses and personal articles required for the role, offer great food and refreshments on-site, and host fun team days.
What will this role involve day-to-day?
Admin volunteers work across all areas of the Hospice, from patient care to catering. They can work at the hospice or from the comfort of their own homes. They will be supporting patients to access our services, as well as helping us recruit more volunteers and keep up with all the required record-keeping, ensuring that we are working effectively and efficiently.
Specific tasks & responsibilities
- Answering enquiries and communicating with our patients and their carers as well as Volunteers, by telephone, mail and email
- Arranging appointments and setting up meetings including digital meetings (training is provided)
- Maintaining patient records (as part of the Care Team), mainly in digital form Maintaining volunteer records, mainly in digital form
- Welcoming visitors to the Hospice when in attendance and manning the reception as requested
- Following the policies and procedures supplied for all operational areas and complying with the main Skanda Vale Hospice policies and procedures
- Supporting managers in putting together data reports and documents from management systems
Personal qualities & skills
We’re looking for the following experience, qualifications, skills and abilities:
- Experience of admin work
- Experience of being part of a busy service
Awareness of how to use digital meeting tools like Zoom and a sound understanding of all digital office tools such as Word, Excel etc.
Qualities, skills and abilities
- The ability to work independently whilst recognising that they are part of a wider team
- Fully IT competent
- A strong and effective communicator both in written and oral form
- A good sense of humour and a willingness to learn
- Willing to embrace the ethos and passion for a volunteer-led palliative care service
This Role Description is not exhaustive. It is an outline of the key expectations and will be reviewed periodically with amendments made following consultation with the role holder(s).
Confidentiality – Please be aware of the confidential nature of our organization. Information about patients and their carers, friends and relatives must not be disclosed to any unauthorised persons. This essential duty of confidentiality also extends to the use of social media.
Before you start, make sure you have the names, numbers and email addresses of two referees (non-family members) who you’ve known for two or more years.