Volunteer role description
- Location Newcastle Emlyn Charity Shop – Skanda Vale Hospice Emporium
- Time offering One day a week – 5.5 hrs. Ideally, we would like you to commit to volunteering with us for a period of 12 months or longer.
- This role is supported by: Volunteer Charity Shop Manager
- Expenses: We cover volunteer expenses and personal articles required for the role, and host fun team days.
We have now been successfully running the hospice charity shop in Newcastle Emlyn for the past 3 years with a significant increase in the yearly turnover. The shop has become a community hub, and a large part of the day is spent talking and listening to the customers.
The shop prides itself not just in terms of how much it can raise for our hospice service, but also as an ambassador for the values and ethos of the hospice within our local community. We create a warm, inspirational and inviting environment, giving the customer a positive experience and a beautiful impression of both the shop and the hospice. Even tourists make the charity shop a must-see place when passing by, and many come back each year, making their familiar faces part of the seasonal change.
It is also important to have a good understanding of the hospice and the services that it provides, as the shop is often the first port of call for those seeking help for a friend or a loved one with a life-limiting illness or for themselves. The care we provide to both our staff and customers mirrors the ethos of the hospice.
What will this role involve day-to-day?
As a volunteer Retail Assistant, you will play an important role in the smooth running of the Skanda Vale Hospice Charity Shop. This is a perfect role if you are looking for a new challenge, have the desire to learn new skills and are prepared to work as a team and meet new people.
Specific tasks & responsibilities
- Display and restock items for sale and ensure that the shop window displays are regularly updated
- Dust and clean shelves
- Clean and wash donated goods when needed
- Assist in sorting donations, in compliance with health and safety regulations
- Use ticketing machines and help to price items
- Be trained in the use of the steam machine
- Use the till to serve customers and to answer any queries
- Maintain excellent levels of customer service, and be able to go above and beyond where possible!
- Communicate and work as part of a team Report to the Deputy Manager or Manager
Personal qualities & skills
We’re looking for the following experience, qualifications, skills and abilities:
- A willingness to learn
- Retail experience would be good but not essential
- Ability to take initiative
- Good communication skills
- Some computer experience would be good but training will be given for the till.
Induction, training and support
- Full induction, training and regular support including role-specific training will be provided
This Role Description is not exhaustive. It is an outline of the key expectations and will be reviewed periodically with amendments made following consultation with the role holder(s).
Confidentiality – Please be aware of the confidential nature of our organisation. Information about patients and their carers, friends and relatives must not be disclosed to any unauthorised persons. This essential duty of confidentiality also extends to the use of social media.
Before you start, make sure you have the names, numbers and email addresses of two referees (non-family members) who you’ve known for two or more years.