Volunteer Housekeepers and Cleaners role description
We are looking for people who can offer at least one full 2 to 3-hour shift per week. Our main shift is on Wednesdays between 4.30pm and 6.30pm, but if this doesn’t suit, we have flexible hours to work around your other commitments.
Our Volunteer Housekeepers and Cleaners are a vital part of our team. Their high standards and efficiency maintain not only the cleanliness and safety of our wonderful building, but ensure everyone in it feels welcome and well looked after.
- Ensuring the highest standards of hygiene and cleanliness
- Following cleaning schedules and recording the completion of tasks.
- Deep cleaning of vacated bedrooms and other areas as necessary.
- Following all Health and Safety guidelines on the use of cleaning materials
- Complete all essential training as required to perform the role
Our housekeepers need:
- Understanding of housekeeping requirements – if you are unsure, training and support will be given
- Good organisation and time management skills
- Self-motivation with an enthusiastic and professional approach
- A willingness to undertake training as required
We would love it if you had:
- Past cleaning experience – either in a home, care, hospital or office setting.
- Knowledge of COSHH regulations.
- Experience of being with people with a life-limiting condition – just so you feel comfortable to stop and chat.
- The ability to communicate in Welsh.
We ask all our volunteers to:
- Attend a Welcome Day, Induction and ongoing training
- Participate in our annual development & review process
- Follow our policies and procedures
- Play an active part in the hospice risk management process to safeguard patients, visitors and colleagues
- Follow good infection control practices at all times and be familiar with infection control policies, procedures & guidance relevant to their area of work
- Agree to a criminal records check prior to starting with us
Supported by: Housekeeping Lead.
Base: Skanda Vale Hospice.
In addition to the basic shift, we ask that you commit 13 hours in your first month to training. This will reduce to around six hours per month in your second and third month – thereafter a maximum of one to two hours a month.
This Role Description is not exhaustive. It is an outline of the key expectations and will be reviewed periodically with amendments made following consultation with the role holder(s).
Confidentiality – Please be aware of the confidential nature of our organisation. Information about patients and their carers, friends and relatives must not be disclosed to any unauthorised persons. This essential duty of confidentiality also extends to the use of social media.
Before you start, make sure you have the names, numbers and email addresses of two referees (non-family members) who you’ve known for two or more years.