Cleanliness is essential to everything we do, and we need a Volunteer Housekeeping Lead who recognises our need for outstanding hygiene while supporting and inspiring our dedicated cleaning team to do the same.
As a healthcare setting, we insist on the highest levels of hygiene, from kitchens to bedrooms, therapy rooms to reception, and we need a Volunteer Housekeeping Lead capable of achieving and maintaining those standards.
We need someone who insists on things being the very best they can be while promoting and preserving the warm, welcoming and caring atmosphere that flourishes within our walls.
Our Volunteer Housekeeping Lead will nurture, support and supervise the volunteer housekeeping and laundry teams as we continue striving in our quest for perfection.
Our Volunteer Housekeeping Lead will:
- Lead, support and inspire our housekeeping and laundry teams
- Create and manage daily and weekly schedules for the volunteer teams
- Ensure the highest standards of hygiene and cleanliness throughout
- Work alongside Respite Unit and Day Hospice staff to organise and manage “deep cleaning” of bedrooms and other areas as necessary
- Take ownership of the housekeeping budget and stock control
- Work alongside the Head of Operations to follow health and safety guidelines and up-to-date infection control procedures
Our Volunteer Housekeeping Lead needs:
- Excellent team leadership and organisational skills
- Knowledge of all aspects of housekeeping
- An openness to learn computer skills
- Self-motivation and an enthusiastic and professional approach
- A willingness to undertake training as required
We would love it if you had:
- Past cleaning experience – either in a home, care, hospital or office setting
- Knowledge of COSHH regulations
- Experience of being with people with a life-limiting condition – just so you feel comfortable to chat
- The ability to communicate in Welsh
Personal qualities we value:
- Compassion and an empathic attitude
- Great listening skills
- Enthusiasm and a conscientious approach to volunteering
- Approachability, a person-centred manner and a sense of humour
- The ability to remain calm, diplomatic and professional in sometimes challenging situations
We ask all our volunteers to:
- Participate in our annual development process
- Follow our organisational policies and procedures
- Play an active part in the hospice risk management process to safeguard patients, visitors and colleagues and take responsibility for reporting and managing risks as appropriate
- Follow good infection control practice at all times
- Agree to a criminal records check
- Be aware of all confidentiality requirements
Our volunteers take part in induction and training, much of which happens in the first few weeks with us. Training varies role by role and can be reduced if someone has current relevant certificates. We also have meetings to update everyone and opportunities for additional support and learning.
Head of Care
Volunteer Housekeeping Team
Skanda Vale Hospice, Saron
Around 8 hours per week. The role can be split 50/50 split between on-site and remote working.
Before you start, make sure you have the names, numbers and email addresses of two referees (non-family members) who you’ve known for two or more years.